Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Wedding Quilt Part 3 HST's

Half Square Triangles is my next
step in the making
of PK's wedding quilt.

Well  .  .  .  I could have made the HST's
the way I learned, by cutting the
fabric the size I needed then
placing the fabric right sides together and
drawing the line, sewing on each side of the line.
But that would have taken way too long.

I need to make 80 HST's.

I do have the Triangulations Program
to make HST's of any size but I 
didn't have enough ink or paper.

Soooo   .   .   .   .   .
My mom told me about another
way to make the HST's.
I can't remember where she had
seen this technique . . . .
But thought I would give it a try.

So here we go  .   .   .   .

I need to have the HST's to be 4-1/2" (4" when finished).

After a little help with the template making.
It was decided that I needed a 7" square to
make the HST's to end up the correct size.













I cut three strips WOF at 7" and then enough
for two more 7" squares.













Then I placed fabric right sides together
and cut them to be 7" square.
I need to make 20 squares to make
the 80 HST's for this quilt.












After the squares were cut, the sewing began.
Chain stitching Isewed a 1/4" seam
around the outside of each square.













OH MY ! ! ! !
30 minutes to sew all 20 blocks.

Then it was time to cut.
I placed my ruler diagonal on the block
lining the ruler corner to corner and cut.
Did the same process for
cutting another diagonal line the
other direction.














When I finished with the cutting and pressing,
I had 80 HST's.












Now all the I need to to is
cut the dog ears off.

From the time I started sewing
till the time I ended pressing,
It only took me 40 minutes.

TAAAADAAAAAA ! !
80 -- 4 1/2"  (4" when finished) Half Square Triangles

I think that is pretty darn good
80 HST's done in 40 minutes.


Till next time ! ! ! !

2 comments:

  1. Way to go.
    Your HSTs are right on! ! !
    Thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty cool way to knock those HST out quickly.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Love to hear your comments.